Norway, with its demanding topography and climate, is a gem on the surface of the planet, and a challenge that the early people set out to conquer.
The first people that came to these shores were hunters, fishers, and gatherers. As the millennia passed, and the population grew, the Norwegians also became farmers, and developed an identity and a culture.
Here is a list of the 15 main eras of Norwegian human history. Click to see a brief introduction to each historical period.
- The latest ice age
- The Stone age
- The Bronze age
- The Iron age
500 BC-AD 1050
- The High middle ages
- The Late middle ages
- The Early modern period
- Norway reborn as a sovereign state
- Norway in union with Sweden
- Full independence at last
- Prosperity, war and depression
- World War 2 and occupation
- The post World War 2 era
- Transformation and neoliberalism
- Technology and globalisation
BC = before Christ | AD = anno domini = after Christ
Main source: Store norske leksikon – snl.no